Frequently Asked Questions about Mercato and Groceries to Go
(Please also see general Mercato FAQs for issues not specific to Groceries to Go)
What is Mercato?
Mercato is an online grocery ordering and delivery company that connects you to local merchants. Mercato is a proud partner of the New York City (NYC) Groceries to Go program.
What is Groceries to Go?
Groceries to Go offers eligible New Yorkers credits to purchase groceries online, for delivery or pickup, from Mercato. Participants receive credits monthly to buy groceries and pay for delivery costs. The program is operated by the NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene in partnership with Mercato.
How do I activate my Mercato Groceries to Go account?
To activate your Mercato Groceries to Go account, click here. Your account is linked to the email address you gave to the NYC Groceries to Go team when enrolling in the program. You must use this email address when activating your account. If you need help with your email or want to change it, please call the NYC Groceries to Go Program at 347-665-0175.
How do I sign into my Mercato Groceries to Go account?
After you have activated your Groceries to Go account, click here to sign in.
How do I change my Groceries to Go email address?
Contact the NYC Health Department’s Groceries to Go customer service center at 347-665-0175 or firstname.lastname@example.org to change the email address associated with your Groceries to Go account.
How can non Groceries to Go customers apply for this Program?
To find out if you are eligible for Groceries to Go, call the NYC Health Department’s Groceries to Go customer service center at 347-665-0175 or email email@example.com.
When are my monthly credits deposited?
Groceries to Go credits are deposited in your account on the first business day of each month.
What if I don’t use all of my credits by the end of the month?
Any remaining credits that remain at the end of the month will roll over to the next month while you are enrolled in the Groceries to Go program
What if I don’t use my credits for six months?
If you do not use any credits for six months, your credits will expire and your account will be canceled. You will be notified before this happens.
Can I shop anywhere in NYC with my Groceries to Go credits?
Groceries to Go customers can shop at any store located in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and Staten Island that is on Mercato’s platform. Orders can only be delivered to addresses within the five boroughs.
What kind of foods can I order?
You can use your Groceries to Go credits to purchase food and beverages, including prepared foods. The credits may not be used to purchase alcoholic beverages, pet food, cleaning supplies or other non-food items.
How does the fruit and vegetable discount work?
Groceries to Go customers get 50% off purchases of fresh fruits and vegetables using their credits. The discount will automatically be applied at checkout. Customers can get up to $30 in savings per month.
Orders and Billing
How do I place an order using Groceries to Go credits?
Please follow the steps below to place an order with Mercato:
- Visit www.mercato.com and sign into your account
- Enter your ZIP code
- Choose your merchant
- Start Shopping
Groceries to Go credits can be used to purchase food and beverages only. If you want to purchase other items, a credit or debit card is required.
Watch this video to learn more about placing an order using your Groceries to Go credits including:
- How to search for stores in your area on Mercato
- How to search specific items and add them to your cart
- How to view and make changes to your cart
- How to pay using Mercato credits
Can I pick up my Groceries to Go order?
Yes. If you pick up your order at the store, you won’t have to pay a delivery fee.
Select Pick-Up when placing your order.
What if I have a damaged, missing, or expired item in my order?
If an item from your order is damaged, missing or expired, please check the final bill to confirm you were charged. If the final bill shows $0.00 for the item, or if it is marked as canceled, the product was likely out of stock and canceled by the store. If you were charged for a missing, damaged, or expired item, click here to request a refund. You will receive a response within 48 hours.
Note: you must submit a photo as proof of damaged, expired, and incorrect items as part of your refund request.
How long will it take to refund my credits?
If Groceries to Go credits were used for the purchase, the credits will be refunded to your account as soon as the refund is processed.
What payment options can I use?
Most Groceries to Go customers choose to only use their Groceries to Go credits when purchasing food and beverages. You do not need a credit card to place a Groceries to Go order.
Groceries to Go credits can be used to purchase food and beverages only. If you want to purchase other items, a credit or debit card is required. Mercato also accepts all major credit cards.
How can I remove my credit/debit card from my Groceries to Go account?
Follow the steps below to remove your credit/debit card from your Groceries to Go account:
- Log into your account
- Go to Payment Info
- Click on the three dots next to the card you would like to delete, then click Delete
- Click Yes to delete and confirm.
Why can’t I see my credits at checkout?
There are several reasons why you might not be able to see your credits including:
- Ineligible items are in your basket. Remember, your Groceries to Go credits can be used to purchase food and beverages only.
- You are shopping at a store outside of the five boroughs of NYC or your delivery address is outside of NYC.
- Delivery or pick-up date and time are not selected
I have enough credits to cover my order, why can’t I use them?
Temporary holds on credits may cause an order total to exceed your credit balance. There are two reasons for temporary holds:
- If you buy weighted items, such as produce or meat, for example, there will be a temporary hold on some of your credits in case the items weigh more than expected. While you will only be charged for the actual weight of items you purchase, the hold makes sure there are credits available to pay for the overage.
- If you choose to replace out of stock items (using the checkbox on the checkout page), there will be a $10 temporary hold in case replacement items are more expensive.
How to Reach Customer Support
- If you'd like to chat with a live agent, visit this link, and click on the chat icon in the lower right-hand corner, we will be happy to help!
- If you'd like to submit a support ticket, follow this link: Submit a request
- Our email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our phone number is (855) 966-2725
Business hours: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM EST